Ticket #1710 (closed enhancement: fixed)
'Announce' email list for thedatahub
|Reported by:||dread||Owned by:||dread|
We want to make email announcements to users of thedatahub.org.
The most simple way to do this is to get a dump of the email addresses and subscribe/invite them to a mailman list.
Different ways to do it:
- 'paster dump-users-csv' creates a CSV file. Apache serves up the directory using password protection. Is this secure enough?
- CKAN admin pages provides a button to produce the CSV and download it. A config option may be necessary to enable this (disabled by default).
Something more advanced in the future could be:
- CKAN tells mailman about new subscribers using the mailman web interface. Could be brittle.
- Mailman doesn't have an Internet API, but it does have a python interface. So CKAN could tell mailman about new subscribers using a python proxy. There may be one out there, or maybe easy to do. But annoying to have to maintain another process running on machine.
- CKAN sends out the emails itself. A sysadmin is given a form. Users have an opt in/out option in their account. But receiving emails is a sensitive thing so it would need to be right first time, and there are several risks to this approach.